Friday, January 25, 2008

Sashiko Fan?...Not Yet!


Fan Size: 7"X7"
Ages ago, I purchased some chartreuse sashiko thread and sashiko needles for this activity but not the kit containing the coarsely woven fabric. I soon learned the virtues of a looser weave when using thick thread! My first fabric selection was a ridiculously tightly woven navy blue plain fabric- not at all possible to pierce with a sashiko needle and thread. Instead of getting my pliers to pull the stitches through I switched to a more loosely woven black fabric. 'Coarse' fabric is very suitable for this thicker thread and stitch size.
I tried the chenille needle as suggested in the C&G manual but preferred the sturdier and longer sashiko needle. I did a little bit of googling and found this interesting site on Japanes textiles, including sashiko. I was introduced to other aspects of Japanese needlework and textiles. 12" looms! http://www.harding-giannini.com/index.php
I found the loosely twisted sashiko thread left a lot of fibre fluffs on the black fabric. Pearl cotton would be cleaner. Would I use sashiko in future work? Maybe. The geometric designs are appealing. The stitching goes quite quickly. However, the look screams 'I am Japanese'.

The thread colour in the photo is quite insipid compared to the chartreuse reality. Photographing colours is a challenge lately. I should check my settings and see what is going on.

1 comment:

LizW said...

I like this, it's really pretty!