Monday, October 29, 2007

Disperse Dyeing Results


Disperse dyeing is full of surprises. It is so exciting when you peel back the freshly pressed paper and see how the dye and fabric sublimated. The purple paper was in fact a brilliant blue. The dull red was fuschia and the mustard yellow was bright lemon. Very alarming! I was forever looking for my paper of ‘mud’ colours to iron over the whole works to tone it all down. My mud ran out and I just had to deal with it.
I tried several fabrics and loved the intensity of a 100% polyester ‘satin-like’ shirt with a heavy drape. My favourite is the last one, shown here, printed on the same polyester fabric. Very pale and pleasant. Too bad there was so much red dye left in the top left ginkgo. At this point I had learned there would be no fixing the bright pink with another layer. More than 3 layers proved more disastrous than not.
I stumbled onto Barbara McKie’s disperse dye work at http://mckieart.com/... again. She must use disperse dye in a large format printer to get her images. What is with these fibre art studios that don’t have a thread out of place?!

No comments: