Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Kiwi Jewel

14"X18" , click on image for quilting detail

Acrylic Paint Inspiration
My first blog entry was ‘Kiwi Mosaic’. This completed quilt is ‘Kiwi Jewel’. I really like it. Usually I just enjoy the doing and feel quite indifferent once the challenges are faced, decisions are made and the work is done. Translating my original kiwi acrylic still life into this mosaic was absorbing and challenging from beginning to end. Don’t be fooled by the small size! The border was a gorgeous piece of hand dyed fabric that resulted from Darlene (co-Fabricator) generously sharing her dyes this past July. I used up every square inch of it.
How to quilt the kiwi section was a big stumbling block until last week; when I bought a funky printed batikish fabric from Poppins. As I was pondering how to quilt an oval motif, my eyes landed on the swirly, sort of round shapes, in the fabric that squished in and around each other. It was fun to stitch the pattern. I couldn't resist adding the yarn around the large border. The chartreuse looked so great with the purple. I just realized this might be an example of complementary colours.
Tomorrow is the first day of a Bargello workshop, 'Twisted Ribbon' at Poppins with teacher Gwen Ledyard. I think I have my 20 fabric picked out. I look forward to the feedback of her experienced eye.


No comments: