Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Transparency


I first picked a few leaves off of my sycamore tree then layed them on sheer fabric which was on top of a piece of glass. Using my very hot burning tool I burned an outlined of each leaf, lifted the excess sheer and peeled the leaf off of the glass. I just love when a technique works so slickly.
Using a metal ruler I burned a lot of rectangles out of a lot of different colours of sheer. Some shot, some not. I found it frustrating to try and control the placement of the sheers so opted for a willy nilly arrangement. Always something was not working with the arrangement. I'd move one thing and create a problem elsewhere. Finally I decided to accept this arrangement. (I see a few things I am going to change!) Nothing like a picture to see the flaws!

The goal of the City and Guilds exercise I was to observe the effect of laying yellow over blue vs. blue over yellow and was the layering effect the same result as in the paint wash exercise. However, I got caught up in where the heavier colours were laying with respect to the lighter colours and with respect to the leaves. I'll do a more structured experiment with colour layering tomorrow.

No comments: