Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Flower Fossil Applique





I loved doing this C&G Heat n' Bond applique even though the fossil/shells turned out stiff as boards. I felt the embroidered edge was too fancy for the shell. So the sample sat for a week. But, the exercise called for machine stitches so eventually I went with fancy edges and lots of different patterns, thread and colour. The stitching went like magic. No breaks, bad tension or stripped threads. I started to really love the exotic look all the stitching gave the simple shell shape. The background was a struggle to find. The shells are gradations of pink and orange hand dyed fabrics. I was fixated on using a background that used similar gradation values in blue or green. It just wasn't working. This corally looking piece materialized one afternoon. Without a lot of thinking (for a change) I just added in a few of the brilliant green and blue blocks to meet the '4 patch' requirement for the exercise.
There are more and better quality images at my flickr page. Click on flickr badge on the right side of these posts.


No comments: