Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mola Bird











This picture of driftwood was taken during our boat trip to Desolation Sound this summer. I like the quilting potential of the cracks. The bird shape was an after the fact bonus. The history of molas and the colourful outfits of the Kuna Indians (First Nations?) of the San Blas Islands off the coast of Panama captured my interest. Molas (literally meaning blouse) are generally extremely complex layers of colour and pattern. The designs range from complex geometric patterns to primitive animal shapes and everything in between, often all on one piece. The freedom of design and brilliant colours are a big lure for me. Molas are usually 13"X16" and come in pairs, one for the front of the blouse and one for the back. I wanted to use a flowered blouse in background like some of the images shown on this website. But the directions for this activity said to create a 2 colour mola http://www.galenfrysinger.com/mola_panama.htm

I extracted a version of the mola bird from the driftwood quite quickly; took a smidge longer to pick the colours and one hour to baste the layers around the motif. By the time all was said and done I forgot to watch the Survivor finale. I am really enjoying this technique. He looks a bit silly right now but I have hopes he will improve. A tail and legs will help.


I wish I knew how to get a photo in the middle of posts.


2 comments:

Susan D said...

Click on the photo so there is a box with squares at each corner click on it and hold then pull it down to where you want it.

Lori B said...

Thanks Susan. If only more things were as solvable.