Sunday, December 16, 2007

Very Scary Hawaiian Applique





Traditional Hawaiian applique is not for me! First of all, I blame the colour choice on Halloween - when I started this. The only thing I enjoyed about this activity was cutting out the 'snowflakes'. Even this I should have paid more attention to as my motif is very irregular from one quadrant to the next. My lack of excitement over this activity explains why it has sat with the last 3" of applique unfinished for 7 weeks!

Applique experiments:

1. Needle turn hand applique. I tried following the stitching line that we used to outline the motif and join the 2 layers of fabric together. It seemed like I was forever stopping applique stitching and taking out these basting line stitches. Once the stitches were removed there was no line to follow. I finished one quadrant using the needle turn method prescribed, and then decided to free myself to experiment with other options in the other quadrants.

2. I used the Kate Pasquini-Masopust technique of starching the fabric and ironing the shape over a piece of posterboard to create a nice smooth edge all ready to stitch. Of course the sharp corners and tiny pieces in my motifs were challenging but at least I could enjoy the hand work somewhat.

3. Heat n Bond fusing made for a very very lifeless, flat look. which would have to be salvaged with stitching or embellishment. Satin stitch makes it look factory made.

4. Raw edge applique was the closest I got to satisfaction. Once I trim the edges better, (need to get some nice sharp small scissors) I think it leaves the most interesting look.

This is one activity I would be happy to leave unfinished, but we have to do some echo quilting. I have heard that hand quilting is quite unpleasant on batik.

Now to get at my mola design which I am very excited about. The broderie perse ginkgo is also proving fun and I can't wait to get at the isometric exercise. I'm loving the photo I have chosen for the isometric colour exercise and English paper piecing exercise to follow.









No comments: