Thursday, December 20, 2007

Very Scary


Someone broke into our house last night while I was on the computer posting yesterdays bird. OK, they didn't exactly break in - they pranced through my UNLOCKED dining room door. I did hear a sort of clumpy sound but exercised my usual ostrich coping strategy when I hear a funny sound at night. After about 2 minutes of being an ostrich I decided I really did hear something and I should look into it. I first noticed how damn cold it was by our front door (just off the dining room). I turned the outdoor lights on and made sure the front door was locked and made a mental note that glass doors and lots of windows are poor insulation. I went back to the computer and felt a definite draft that even an ostrich couldn't deny. OK now my heart is beating fast. I went back to the front door and noticed my dining room door was wide open and my family room door was slightly ajar. Yikes! The wind must have blown it open. No wind. I wandered through the house a bit to see if I felt a presence. I didn't. But I did decide I would be safest outside so I stood outside in absolute stillness and silence for 5 minutes until I started shivering. Should I call the police? Should I wake up my husband to help me check the house? Should I check the house myself. No. No. and Yes. I am not brave I am an idiot! I found nothing and felt nothing weird so I went to bed. Pillow over my head. Cell phone on the nightstand.

I woke up (5am)to my husband yelling (I wear ear plugs to bed) "Where's my wallet"? Right away, straight from a deep sleep I said "The person who came into our house last night took it".

At first light I found the wallet and credit cards strewn about our yard. Only the Blackberry was missing. Very scary, especially considering our house is somewhat isolated and we have lots of windows with no curtains.

Anyway, to the quilting. It seems appropriate to post this scary Hawaiian applique. My tutor is quite happy that I tried so many ways to find a way to enjoy this technique. Satin stitch-too flat and factory like. Fused- flat and dead appearance. Raw edge-like this best. Needle turn applique- too many narrow and sharp corners, usually I like applique. I have yet to hand embroider one of the fused sections. This is one activity and sample that I happily bury in the strata of samples.

No comments: